Thursday 2 June 2011

Video Feedback from Students

I think that my students enjoy my class. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of them do because of the feedback I receive from them. One way my school uses to collect this feedback is in the form of a face-to-face interview at the end of a 4-week study block. As I see it, the problem with this technique are these:
1. It takes a relatively long time per student
2. It may be hard for students to express their true feelings with me sitting across from them.

I thought I would try something new this time. I created a video feedback mini-project for my students to complete without any interference from me.

Material and Equipment
1. A video camera with spare batteries
2. A tripod
3. A chair
4. Interview Handout: A single page with the interview questions I usually use face-to-face and lines under each question (for students to jot down some notes before they go and record their responses)

The Process
This worked well this time because I was out of my class for approximately 20 minutes with some administrative tasks, so my students didn't have any pressure put on them by me being nearby.

My students are all competent using our Flip video camera and since it was mounted on a tripod (and they are all adults), leaving them unattended was not an issue.

Students found a classmate to control the camera and to read the questions aloud. They took their papers with them since this was completely unrehearsed and again, I wanted this to be low pressure for them. After one pair finished, another pair would come out.

When not recording their responses, the students were practicing for final speeches that they would have to deliver the next day. Again, this was routine, so my not being in the classroom was not an issue for my students.

The Sharing

I have not posted this feedback anywhere, but I have shared them with my administrator via my Dropbox account (which I recently upgraded. I'm quite happy about that ). Unlike several of my colleagues, I don't fear feedback from my students and I am quite happy to make my feedback as transparent as possible. I always get at least one or two great ideas to layer into my course as well as food for thought about the established routines we use.


If you try this out with your class (or if you already do this type of feedback activity with your students), drop me a line - I'd love to hear more about what you are doing!

Thanks!





- Posted from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment